Saturday, May 9, 2020

Don't just do things.

Life is awfully boring and incredibly invalidating when the things that we do are unseen by the world. The mundane tasks of life seem to be un-ordained, un-holy, and so purposeless.

I have spent a lot of time lately talking about this. I believe we live in a culture of approval. We all want to be great. We want to be talented and leave our mark. If the whole world will not know our names when we have moved into the eternal then it is not worth the effort.

I notice that these attitudes exist within The Church as well. We are focused on doing Kingdom things. We want to walk in our purpose, but not if our purpose is not called out and recognized by the rest of the body. The Christian way of calling this out is "producing fruit for the kingdom." Laboring. Making sure everyone knows what you are doing to contribute to the greater good. Are you walking in your calling? Are you living your purpose?

I apologize if my cynicism is showing. I adore the church. I definitely believe in doing good works. I strive for this in my life, and I share my endeavors. I don't believe in "doing life" alone. I want and need encouragement for the things I do. I want to see others living out loud and on purpose. But, we are overlooking a lot of really important details when it comes to what we do.

I think that we are missing the point of doing.  

Naturally, once we come to Christ, we want to lead others in the same victory that we've experienced, and this is reflected in wanting to do stuff to prove how free we are. But scripture encourages stillness, it speaks of heart conditions and attitudes. Not just working, but of being in relationship with Christ, and relationship with others. Let me try to explain my thought pattern here.

Galatians 5:22-23: The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness gentleness, and self-control.

Are we minding our attitudes? Are we first, before acting on anything, choosing to live by the Spirit? This doesn't not require any external action. This requires a heart condition. Of course people will see that we are kind, or patient because of how we act... but the attitude must come before the action.

One book I really like a lot is James. We use this book in The Church to teach about doing. Indeed, James says "If you are wise and understanding let it be shown by deeds done in humility." But he also says the wisdom that comes from God is first of all pure, then peace loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit (see Galatians!), impartial and sincere. Wisdom is not produced by action, it is produced by choosing a proper attitude.

Immediately after this, James asks "What causes fights and quarrels among you? Isn't it from the desires that battle within you." Our hearts... our flesh. The things within us must first be addressed in order to walk in the deeds done in humility.

Ephesians 2:8: "For it is by GRACE you have been saved through FAITH (another heart condition!) and this not from ourselves, it is the gift of God. (We do not even produce our own faith! The faith it took to bring us to Christ was gifted to us by our Father!) 

Not by works, so no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, (Yes, to DO good WORKS) which God prepared in advance for us to DO. 

I was definitely made to do good works. But here's the oft overlooked point... 

All of the mindless doing is wasting time. God created me to do the good works that God has already set apart for me to do. Striving to do things simply for the purpose of proving something to others is distracting me from filling my heart with the attitudes that will make me more effective at the actual things God has for me.

What are you relying on to prove your goodness? What am I relying on to prove that I do contribute... that I am helpful, or worthy? Am I just trying to make myself feel special or worthy by all of the doing?

What if I waited on the Lord for the good works he prepared especially for me? And, what if, while I was waiting, I practiced to have an attitude like Christ... what if I strengthed my heart condition so that I will be more equipped for overflow?

This gift of pausing can really shift what our lives looked like before Covid-19. I am grateful for the opportunity to examine my heart. Proverbs 4:23 says "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you DO flows from it."

It is not our job to be concerned with what we do. It is our job to be concerned with our attitudes. Our hearts. We were called to nothing else but to LOVE. (Matthew 22:34-40) Let us shift our focus from doing, and begin to focus on being. 

Be well, Dear Ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment